Friday, March 23, 2012

Salamu-Halakum!


Hello to all from Morocco!

It’s only been five days since my departure from home, but I can honestly say that it feels more like a week or so. My mind feels as foggy now as the air looked on Monday morning as my mom and Mike drove me to the airport through the mist. So much has happened, and there is so much to say, but there's not a lot of time so I'll just give a basic update!

There's about 110 of us here (wow!) at a hotel in Rabat for a brief training before we start our PST (pre-service training). We'll be here until next Thursday, and then we go to our CBT (community-based training) sites for 2 months! Our group is actually going to FES for CBT, which is so incredible because Fes is absolutely beautiful and has so much history. We really lucked out! We will be in Fes for the 2 months before finding out our final site, swearing in, and heading to the place where we will spend the next two years!

Everything has been such a whirlwind, but I know a few things for sure:
- These people are awesome
- Morocco reminds me of Egypt, which is like being home in a way, since I missed Cairo so much in the last few years.
- COUS COUS IS SO DELICIOUS!! NOM NOM.
- In more food-related news, there are sooo many veggies at every meal! I'm in heaven! Plus, the meat that I've tried has been way better than in the states (duh).
- I saw the Atlantic and it was gorgeous. We also went to the old city (Medina) here in Rabat and that was gorgeous too. I'll post pictures of all that soon.
- I still have my bartering skills from Cairo! I helped a friend barter a purse down from 160 Dh (about 20 dollars) to 55 (about 7 dollars)!! Woop! What's even cooler is that I was helping with my limited knowledge of French numbers (Thanks, Mary!)
- The language is awesome. What I know from Egypt is helping me a ton more than I thought it would, even though a lot of it is different.

I now have a phone too!! Email me to get the number if you want to call: kirstenazeiter@gmail.com

I have to run because it is dinner time, but more soon! Our time is pretty busy right now, but we'll see!

<3 KAZ


No comments:

Post a Comment