Working for global gender justice is complex, even when working in one's home country - and it only becomes more so when living and working in a culture different than one's own. In addition to the challenges always present when dealing with issues of gender, race, class, and all other power dynamics, there is an added element of cultural difference thrown into the mix, making every issue that much more complex - and, above all, making it that much more important to be aware of our biases, attitudes, and ways in which we might be privileged.
I've been thinking a lot lately about privilege, agency, and discursive spaces - by that I mean the areas, both physical and conceptual, in which ideas are communicated. A discursive space could be a place, such as a classroom, street, internet forum, etc.; an event/activity, such as a meeting, daily conversation, news conference, etc.; or anything in-between. If people are communicating and ideas are being exchanged, its some type of discursive space. I've specifically been concerned with questions like: Who is allowed into which discursive spaces? Who is left out? Who controls which spaces, and how? How are discursive spaces regulated by social norms?
I wrote following poem while reflecting about these types of questions. Like all poems, it is meant to be spoken aloud - and I think this might actually be my first experience writing what some might term "slam poetry." I'm still sort of working on it a bit, but I thought I'd share! If you'd like some more background about what I'm addressing in the piece, I'd love to talk more about it - just shoot me an email!
Wellspring
Clinking of glasses
Long sips of tea
Students meet, old friends greet
It’s more than leisure
Deeper than a cup of coffee
The discursive space is alive
New voices are heard
Fresh ideas spring forth
A wellspring of songs
Of knowledge and change
But smoke clouds the air
Shields things yet unspoken
A closer look: a sinister shadow
Persistent as death and visible as the wind
It remains at each table
Lurks behind each group of students
It brews at the bottom of each cup of coffee
Stirs within each glass of tea
It screeches from tires of taxis long gone
Screams with the children beyond
A wellspring of songs
Of absence and silence
Access to space, restricted
The entrance is guarded
By assumptions, half-truths
All agency stripped
From those most urgent
Identity reformed
For any who dare cross
A closer look: a sinister truth
Even when the wheels of change turn
In the minds of those thoughtful
One voice, systematically left out
Purposefully unheard, and once again
In a reprise of a song sung for so long,
It seems older that time
Change moves forward while some are forgotten
Some are left behind
One truth, blaring louder than a thousand voices
Yet buried behind a thousand more justifications
A truth denied by too many and sung by too few
So bold it shocks yet so simple it can soothe
A truth both static and fluid
Both reactive and reflexive
A truth both overdue and perfectly present
Only when this scream is heard
When walls fall to the power
Of a thousand voices as one and many
Only then can we call this a discursive space
Only when absence turns to presence
When each and every last coffee cup rings
With a song sung by too few
Only then can we call ourselves progressives
Only when agency is realized
When smoke yields to a space free
For a truth older than time
Only then can we call this change
No comments:
Post a Comment