Thursday, January 19, 2012

Two Months and Counting...

Today is January 19th.

In exactly two months, the date will be March 19th, and I'll be embarking on the journey of a lifetime.

In exactly two months, it's very likely that I'll also be an complete basket case of emotions.
As Kurt Vonnegut might say: Hold on to your hats!

In not-so-exactly one month, I'll be packing up my things and saying 'see you later' to Grand Rapids for now. The basket case might be making an early appearance at this point.

In approximately two minutes (or four, or ten, or anytime at all), I could be feeling any and all of the following:
- Excitement: How amazing is it that I got assigned to MOROCCO?! I had the time of my life studying in Egypt, and I can feel the travel bug buzzing in my ear, louder and brighter each day.
- Nervousness: It's not the service that scares me, or even the culture shock of a foreign country - it's the leaving. It's that moment in the airport, when the hugs end and I'm supposed to walk away.
- Contemplation: There's a lot of self-reflection needed at times like these. I wonder about my intentions, goals, fears, and expectations. I think about the people I'm going to miss and I obsess a little about seeing all of them a lot before I go. I think about life as a journey and as a whole.
- Anticipation: I submitted my application almost a year and a half ago. Waiting this long to finally be leaving has been a whole other set of emotions in and of itself. It's finally going to come to fruition, and there's something simultaneously beautiful and unbelievable about that.
- Being Present: Amid all the other thoughts, I'm trying my best to remain present while I'm here. I'm seeing as much of the people I love as possible, indulging in favorite foods while they're available, and having a ton of fun every day. I have plenty of time to be Moroccan while I'm in Morocco. For now, bring on the pizza, cookies, mac and cheese and good beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment